Inspector General Investigations Attorney
Our Civilian Defense Lawyers Assist with Military Inspector General (IG) Complaints and Investigations
We are criminal defense lawyers who exclusively handle military cases. If you are a military member facing an IG investigation, we can assist you.
The DoD and military service branches have offices of the Inspector General (IG). Personnel assigned to those offices look into complaints and conduct investigations against military members, which include allegations of abuse of authority, violation of regulations, fraud waste and abuse, and other alleged wrongdoing or misconduct. These investigations can have serious impacts on a military career, to include possible subsequent disciplinary actions taken against the military member who faced the investigation. This, of course, could negatively impact the military member’s military rank, assignment, performance report, advancement and promotion, and retirement.
If you are a military member who is the target of an IG complaint or investigation, you could benefit from the legal advice, representation, and defense of a qualified civilian defense attorney who handles military Inspector General investigations.
At the law office of Richard V. Stevens, our civilian defense attorneys are best known for military court-martial trial defense and court-martial appellate practice successes. This includes high profile/media-involved military justice cases and other serious military criminal cases that have resulted in dropped charges/cases and acquittals (not guilty of all charges and specifications). While that may be what is considered to be newsworthy, we also handle military adverse actions, like IG investigations, that can seriously impact military careers and futures but do not get exposure in the media or online.
We offer free consultations to begin discussing the circumstances of the IG complaint or investigation at issue, and to determine the best way to move forward. Call us today to get started at 888-399-0693.
Our IG Investigations Lawyer Works for You
Why Choose Us?
When dealing with serious IG investigations, at any level of the military IG system, it is important for you to have a lawyer you have confidence in and feel comfortable with, and who has the qualifications and experience with military law and issues to attempt to get the results you seek. Here are some reasons the law office of Richard V. Stevens could be your best choice:
- We are highly qualified. Attorney Richard V. Stevens has been handling military cases since 1995. He has extensive experience in the most complex, serious military trials, and all types of adverse military administrative actions, discipline and investigations. He has served as an active-duty base military defense counsel, active-duty regional military defense counsel, civilian state and federal trial attorney and civilian criminal defense and military defense attorney.
- We know military law, regulations, procedures, and cases. Mr. Stevens has defended military cases dealing with the most serious military offenses, including allegations of “war crimes,” national security cases, murder, manslaughter, homicide, rape, sexual assault, other sex-related offenses, drug offenses, computer crimes (pornography), larceny, fraud, AWOL/desertion, conduct unbecoming, military academy offenses, offenses within combat zones, senior officer cases and other military specific offenses around the world.
- We are recognized in the military legal community. Since 1997, Mr. Stevens has repeatedly been invited to speak at military defense attorney conferences regarding military trial defense issues. He has served as a military law expert for media outlets, including the Associated Press, and has made appearances on major television news outlets. He has also received Top Honors and the Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for Military Law.
- We have a long history of helping military members and their families, and you can read about our case outcomes.
- We have earned respect from military judges, other attorneys, and clients, and the proof is in their testimonials.
- We represent members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Space Force stationed around the world
- We offer free consultations to discuss your IG situation and how we might be able to assist you.
Our Inspector General investigations attorneys have many years of experience dealing with military cases. We know military law, courts, judges, regulations, and the system, and how to defend, negotiate, and represent the interests of our clients in seeking the best possible outcome. Don’t delay. Call us today to get started working on your case at 888-399-0693.
How Our Inspector General Investigations Attorneys Could Help You
When you retain our experienced civilian defense attorney, you will benefit from our years of military law experience. Once hired, we start working for you immediately. We will discuss your case and the specifics of your individual situation to determine the best way to represent your interests and build your defense. This includes discussing investigative questions and client statements, reviewing the investigation for errors, and could include identifying and interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence and statements, and assisting in preparing and submitting a rebuttal to the investigation.
While representing you in facing the IG investigation, we would also be addressing the possibility of subsequent adverse actions, such as military discipline, involuntary administrative discharge (separation), or even court-martial.
Military IG Investigations Lawyer Handles Many Types of Military Cases
While military general courts-martial (and sometimes special courts-martial) successes may result in more public recognition, there are many other military adverse actions that our military defense attorneys handle that can have a dramatic impact on a military member’s career, family, and future.
Military discipline, including courts-martial, can be preceded by investigations conducted by military “law enforcement” investigators, such as:
- NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service (Navy and Marine Corps)
- USMC CID: U.S. Marine Corps Criminal Investigation Division (Marine Corps)
- CID: U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (Army)
- OSI: Air Force Office of Special Investigations (Air Force)
- CGIS: Coast Guard Investigative Service (Coast Guard).
Military investigations resulting in discipline or court-martial can also begin, however, with other types of military investigations, including Inspector General (IG) complaints and investigations at various levels of military command:
- DoD IG (Department of Defense IG): http://www.dodig.mil/
- SAF/IG (Air Force IG): http://www.af.mil/InspectorGeneralComplaints.aspx
- DA/IG (Army IG): http://www.daig.pentagon.mil/
- SECNAV/IG (Navy IG): http://www.secnav.navy.mil/ig/Pages/Home.aspx
- HQMC/IG (Marine Corps): http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/igmc/UnitHome.aspx
- DHS/OIG (Coast Guard): http://www.oig.dhs.gov/
- Local level IG complaints and investigations.
Attorney Richard V. Stevens represents and defends military members facing military investigations of all types, including Inspector General (IG) complaints and investigations. In his career, this has included representing even several general officers facing such investigations. As criminal defense lawyers, that is our primary involvement with these complaints. In limited circumstances, when an IG complaint is determined to be an effective tool in our overall defense strategy in a given case, Mr. Stevens would also represent military members who seek to file an IG complaint against a commander or other authority. This would be a limited circumstance in the overall defense strategy, however, and not the original reason for the representation.
If you’re under any type of military investigation and need experienced attorney assistance, please don’t hesitate to seek the legal help you’re going to need. For a free initial case consultation, please contact us. Call today at 888-399-0693.