Board for Correction of Military Records [B.C.M.R.] and other Military Appellate Boards
Our civilian defense attorneys are best known for military court-martial trial defense and court-martial appellate practice successes.
This includes high profile/media involved military justice cases, and other serious military criminal cases that have resulted in dropped charges/cases and acquittals (not guilty of all charges and specifications).
While general court-martial (and sometimes special court-martial or summary court-martial) successes may result in more public recognition, there are many other military adverse actions that these military defense attorneys handle, that can have a dramatic impact on a military member’s career, future, and family.
The military service branches have various boards that consider and “hear” appeals of all types of military adverse actions – performance reports, denial of re-enlistment, demotion, denial/removal of promotion, written counselings, admonishments, reprimands, Article 15s, administrative discharge/separations. These boards include:
- The Army DASEB
- The Air Force ERAB
- The Army Discharge Review Board (ADRB), Air Force Discharge Review Board (AFDRB), Navy Discharge Review Board (NDRB)
- The Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR), Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR), Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR), and Coast Guard Board for Correction of Military Records (CGBCMR)
The service branch boards for correction of military records (BCMR and BCNR) are like the “Supreme Court” of administrative appeals. They have authority to overturn and remove many military adverse actions if a strong and persuasive appeal presentation, that satisfies the appeal standards, is made. In fact, they often have the authority to overturn decisions of lower level military appeal boards. Because of this, having an experienced and aggressive defense attorney on your side is absolutely vital in these military cases.
The following are some links to various military appellate boards:
- Army Boards (DASEB, ADRB, ABCMR)
- Air Force Discharge Review Board (AFDRB)
- Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR)
- Navy Discharge Review Board (NDRB)
- Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR)
- Coast Guard Board for Correction of Military Records (CGBCMR)
- Military Appeal Board Reading Rooms
Attorney Richard V. Stevens represents military members appealing adverse actions to the various military appeal boards. This includes written appeal packages and personal appearances (with or without the member) before boards that authorize an appearance. Mr. Stevens is a civilian criminal defense attorney and former military JAG lawyer who exclusively practices military law and defends military members stationed around the world who are facing military trials, disciplinary actions, appeals, adverse actions, board hearings, and investigations.