Boards for Correction of Military Records (BCMR)
The Military Justice System Includes Many Different Adverse Actions That Could Seriously Harm The Career And Future Of Military Members
While general court-martial (and sometimes special court-martial) successes may result in more public recognition, there are many other military adverse actions that could have a dramatically negatively impact on a military member’s career and future. Our civilian defense attorneys handle these adverse military actions.
The military service branches have various boards that consider and “hear” appeals of all types of administrative military adverse actions – performance reports, denial of re-enlistment, demotion, denial/removal of promotion, written counselings, admonishments, reprimands, Article 15s, administrative discharge/separations. These administrative appeal boards include:
- The Army DASEB
- The Air Force ERAB
- The Army Discharge Review Board (ADRB), Air Force Discharge Review Board (AFDRB), Navy Discharge Review Board (NDRB)
- The Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR), Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR), Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR), and Coast Guard Board for Correction of Military Records (CGBCMR)
The military service branch administrative appeal boards for correction of military records (BCMR and BCNR) are like the “Supreme Court” of administrative appeals. They have authority to overturn and remove many administrative military adverse actions if a strong and persuasive appeal presentation, that satisfies the appeal standards, is made. In fact, they often have the authority to overturn decisions of lower level military appeal boards. Because of this, having an experienced and aggressive court martial appeals lawyer on your side is absolutely vital in these military administrative appeal cases.
The following are some links to various military appellate boards:
- Army Boards (DASEB, ADRB, ABCMR)
- Air Force Discharge Review Board (AFDRB)
- Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR)
- Navy Discharge Review Board (NDRB)
- Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR)
- Coast Guard Board for Correction of Military Records (CGBCMR)
- Military Appeal Board Reading Rooms
Attorney Richard V. Stevens represents military members appealing adverse administrative military actions to the various military appeal boards. This includes written appeal packages and personal appearances (with or without the member) before the appeal boards that authorize an appearance. Mr. Stevens is a civilian criminal defense attorney and former active duty military JAG lawyer who exclusively practices military law and defends military members stationed around the world who are facing military trials, disciplinary actions, appeals, adverse actions, board hearings, and investigations.